Light Salade aux Lardons
This French bistro salad is usually made with fatty bacon from the pig's belly. With Canadian bacon, it's lighter, leaner and just as tasty. You can cut down on the salt by parboiling the bacon for 1 minute before dicing. A poached egg nestled into the greens completes the dish—and turns it into a substantial brunch or supper.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 3/4 cups)
- 2 medium heads frisée, or curly-leaf endive lettuce, torn (8 cups)
- 1 large shallot,minced
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook, stirring, until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a large bowl. Add lettuce to the bowl. Add shallot to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture onto the lettuce; toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the boiling water, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and poach the eggs until the yolks are just set, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top each serving with a poached egg. Grind pepper over the top and serve immediately.
Per serving: 263 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 232 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 3 g fiber; 902 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Folate (43% dv), Selenium (36% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Iron (15% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean protein, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient