Light Salade aux Lardons
This French bistro salad is usually made with fatty bacon from the pig's belly. With Canadian bacon, it's lighter, leaner and just as tasty. You can cut down on the salt by parboiling the bacon for 1 minute before dicing. A poached egg nestled into the greens completes the dish—and turns it into a substantial brunch or supper.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 3/4 cups)
- 2 medium heads frisée, or curly-leaf endive lettuce, torn (8 cups)
- 1 large shallot,minced
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook, stirring, until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a large bowl. Add lettuce to the bowl. Add shallot to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture onto the lettuce; toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the boiling water, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and poach the eggs until the yolks are just set, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top each serving with a poached egg. Grind pepper over the top and serve immediately.
Per serving: 263 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 232 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 3 g fiber; 902 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Folate (43% dv), Selenium (36% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Iron (15% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean protein, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient