Light Salade aux Lardons
This French bistro salad is usually made with fatty bacon from the pig's belly. With Canadian bacon, it's lighter, leaner and just as tasty. You can cut down on the salt by parboiling the bacon for 1 minute before dicing. A poached egg nestled into the greens completes the dish—and turns it into a substantial brunch or supper.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 3/4 cups)
- 2 medium heads frisée, or curly-leaf endive lettuce, torn (8 cups)
- 1 large shallot,minced
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook, stirring, until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a large bowl. Add lettuce to the bowl. Add shallot to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture onto the lettuce; toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the boiling water, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and poach the eggs until the yolks are just set, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top each serving with a poached egg. Grind pepper over the top and serve immediately.
Per serving: 263 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 232 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 3 g fiber; 902 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Folate (43% dv), Selenium (36% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Iron (15% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean protein, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient