Light Salade aux Lardons
This French bistro salad is usually made with fatty bacon from the pig's belly. With Canadian bacon, it's lighter, leaner and just as tasty. You can cut down on the salt by parboiling the bacon for 1 minute before dicing. A poached egg nestled into the greens completes the dish—and turns it into a substantial brunch or supper.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 3/4 cups)
- 2 medium heads frisée, or curly-leaf endive lettuce, torn (8 cups)
- 1 large shallot,minced
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook, stirring, until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a large bowl. Add lettuce to the bowl. Add shallot to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture onto the lettuce; toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the boiling water, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and poach the eggs until the yolks are just set, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top each serving with a poached egg. Grind pepper over the top and serve immediately.
Per serving: 263 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 11 g mono); 232 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 3 g fiber; 902 mg sodium; 589 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Folate (43% dv), Selenium (36% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Iron (15% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean protein, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient