Light Lemon Sauce with Herbs
Fines herbes, a mixture of parsley, chervil, tarragon and chives, is a classic combo in French cooking. The herbs give this simple sauce, which is similar to hollandaise, a delightful lift.
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chervil, (see Tip)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place mayonnaise in a small saucepan. Gradually add broth, whisking until smooth. Heat over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until heated through but not bubbling, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mustard, oil, lemon juice, parsley, tarragon, chives, chervil and pepper. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: If you don't have fresh chervil, use more fresh parsley instead.
Per tablespoon: 25 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 98 mg sodium; 8 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory