Light Lemon Sauce with Herbs
Fines herbes, a mixture of parsley, chervil, tarragon and chives, is a classic combo in French cooking. The herbs give this simple sauce, which is similar to hollandaise, a delightful lift.
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chervil, (see Tip)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place mayonnaise in a small saucepan. Gradually add broth, whisking until smooth. Heat over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until heated through but not bubbling, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mustard, oil, lemon juice, parsley, tarragon, chives, chervil and pepper. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: If you don't have fresh chervil, use more fresh parsley instead.
Per tablespoon: 25 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 98 mg sodium; 8 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)