Light Lemon Meringue Pie
Smooth and soothing; a great classic pie right down to the crust, redefined with a generous amount of lemon and fewer egg yolks in the filling.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make crust: Set oven rack at lowest level; preheat oven to 425°F. Stir together flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter is a light, nutty brown, about 30 seconds. Pour into a small bowl and let cool. Stir in oil. Slowly stir the butter-oil mixture into the flour with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Gradually stir in enough ice water so that the dough will hold together in a ball. Press the dough into a flattened disk.
- Place the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap and roll into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Remove the top sheet and invert the dough over a 9-inch pie plate. Remove the remaining wrap. Fold the edges under at the rim and crimp. Line the shell with a piece of foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the weights or beans, and continue to bake until the crust is golden, 8 to 10 more minutes. Cool the pie shell on a rack while you make the filling. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°.
- To make filling: Whisk together 1 1/4 cups sugar, cornstarch and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in boiling water. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk together lemon juice, zest, egg and 1 egg white in a small bowl. Whisk a small amount of the hot sauce into the egg mixture, then whisk this mixture back into the sauce. Return to a simmer over medium heat, stirring, then cook for an additional 30 seconds. Stir in the butter until melted and pour into the baked pie shell. Set aside while you prepare meringue.
- To make meringue: Beat 3 egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and pinch of salt and beat at high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add 1/2 cup sugar, beating constantly, until the mixture holds stiff, shiny peaks. Beat in the vanilla. Spread the meringue over the hot filling, sealing to edge of crust. Make attractive peaks with a metal spatula, knife or the back of a spoon. Bake until the top is lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool the pie on a rack until it is room temperature, about 2 hours.
Per serving: 339 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 166 mg sodium; 91 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique