Light Lemon Meringue Pie
Smooth and soothing; a great classic pie right down to the crust, redefined with a generous amount of lemon and fewer egg yolks in the filling.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make crust: Set oven rack at lowest level; preheat oven to 425°F. Stir together flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter is a light, nutty brown, about 30 seconds. Pour into a small bowl and let cool. Stir in oil. Slowly stir the butter-oil mixture into the flour with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Gradually stir in enough ice water so that the dough will hold together in a ball. Press the dough into a flattened disk.
- Place the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap and roll into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Remove the top sheet and invert the dough over a 9-inch pie plate. Remove the remaining wrap. Fold the edges under at the rim and crimp. Line the shell with a piece of foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the weights or beans, and continue to bake until the crust is golden, 8 to 10 more minutes. Cool the pie shell on a rack while you make the filling. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°.
- To make filling: Whisk together 1 1/4 cups sugar, cornstarch and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in boiling water. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk together lemon juice, zest, egg and 1 egg white in a small bowl. Whisk a small amount of the hot sauce into the egg mixture, then whisk this mixture back into the sauce. Return to a simmer over medium heat, stirring, then cook for an additional 30 seconds. Stir in the butter until melted and pour into the baked pie shell. Set aside while you prepare meringue.
- To make meringue: Beat 3 egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and pinch of salt and beat at high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add 1/2 cup sugar, beating constantly, until the mixture holds stiff, shiny peaks. Beat in the vanilla. Spread the meringue over the hot filling, sealing to edge of crust. Make attractive peaks with a metal spatula, knife or the back of a spoon. Bake until the top is lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool the pie on a rack until it is room temperature, about 2 hours.
Per serving: 339 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 166 mg sodium; 91 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour