Light & Fluffy Biscuits
A combination of all-purpose flour and cake flour produces a light, tender low-fat biscuit. Serve with dinner or for breakfast or tea with fruit preserves.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat lightly with cooking spray.
- Stir together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or two table knives, cut in cream cheese and butter until pea-sized lumps form. Stir in buttermilk with a fork. Gather the dough into a ball and knead it several times in the bowl until smooth.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into a smooth, 1/2-inch-thick disk. With a 3-inch cutter, cut out rounds. Repeat with dough scraps until you have 10 biscuits. Brush tops with fat-free milk. Place on the baking sheet and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Per biscuit: 136 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 317 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more