Light & Fluffy Biscuits
A combination of all-purpose flour and cake flour produces a light, tender low-fat biscuit. Serve with dinner or for breakfast or tea with fruit preserves.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat lightly with cooking spray.
- Stir together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or two table knives, cut in cream cheese and butter until pea-sized lumps form. Stir in buttermilk with a fork. Gather the dough into a ball and knead it several times in the bowl until smooth.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into a smooth, 1/2-inch-thick disk. With a 3-inch cutter, cut out rounds. Repeat with dough scraps until you have 10 biscuits. Brush tops with fat-free milk. Place on the baking sheet and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Per biscuit: 136 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 317 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique