Light & Fluffy Biscuits
A combination of all-purpose flour and cake flour produces a light, tender low-fat biscuit. Serve with dinner or for breakfast or tea with fruit preserves.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat lightly with cooking spray.
- Stir together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or two table knives, cut in cream cheese and butter until pea-sized lumps form. Stir in buttermilk with a fork. Gather the dough into a ball and knead it several times in the bowl until smooth.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into a smooth, 1/2-inch-thick disk. With a 3-inch cutter, cut out rounds. Repeat with dough scraps until you have 10 biscuits. Brush tops with fat-free milk. Place on the baking sheet and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Per biscuit: 136 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 317 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique