Light & Fluffy Biscuits
A combination of all-purpose flour and cake flour produces a light, tender low-fat biscuit. Serve with dinner or for breakfast or tea with fruit preserves.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat lightly with cooking spray.
- Stir together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or two table knives, cut in cream cheese and butter until pea-sized lumps form. Stir in buttermilk with a fork. Gather the dough into a ball and knead it several times in the bowl until smooth.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into a smooth, 1/2-inch-thick disk. With a 3-inch cutter, cut out rounds. Repeat with dough scraps until you have 10 biscuits. Brush tops with fat-free milk. Place on the baking sheet and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Per biscuit: 136 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 317 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins