A cooked meringue lightens and enriches a delicate custard to serve with fruits and trifles.
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Yellow food coloring, (optional)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Whisk together 1/4 cup milk, egg yolks and cornstarch in a large bowl. Heat remaining milk in a heavy saucepan until steaming. Gradually whisk milk into the egg mixture. Return to the saucepan; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the custard boils and thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in vanilla and about 3 drops yellow food coloring, if using. Transfer to a clean bowl and place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, bring about 1 inch of water to a simmer in a saucepan. Combine egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and water in a heatproof mixing bowl large enough to fit over the saucepan. Set the bowl over the barely simmering water and beat with an electric mixer at low speed, moving the beaters around the bowl constantly, until an instant-read thermometer registers 140°F. (This will take 3 to 5 minutes.) Increase the mixer speed to high and continue beating over the heat for a full 3 1/2 minutes. Remove the bowl from the heat and beat the meringue until cool, about 4 minutes.
- Whisk one-fourth of the meringue into the custard. Add the remaining whites and use a whisk to incorporate them with a folding motion.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 94 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 120 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less