Light Cheese Sauce
This cheese sauce, which can make almost anything taste better, is made with a combination of low-fat milk and flour to keep it light.
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 2/3 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whisk flour with 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Heat the remaining milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming. Add the flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in Cheddar, dry mustard, paprika, cayenne (if using) and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.
Per tablespoon: 23 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 61 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more