Lettuce Wraps with Spiced Pork
Serve this quick stir-fry family-style: set out a bowl of stir-fried pork and the lettuce leaves and let people make their own wraps.
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry, or rice wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound thin center-cut boneless pork chops, trimmed of fat and cut into thin julienne strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 8-ounce can sliced bamboo shoots, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, cut into julienne strips
- 4 scallions, greens only, sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
- To prepare sauce: Combine oyster sauce, water, hoisin sauce, vinegar, sherry (or rice wine), cornstarch, brown sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- To prepare stir-fry: Heat 2 teaspoons canola oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet or wok. Add pork; cook, stirring constantly, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms have softened, about 4 minutes. Return the pork to the pan and add the sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until a thick glossy sauce has formed, about 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with scallions and wrapped in lettuce leaves.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sauce will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 350 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 59 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 7 g fiber; 810 mg sodium; 675 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique