Lettuce Wraps with Spiced Pork
Serve this quick stir-fry family-style: set out a bowl of stir-fried pork and the lettuce leaves and let people make their own wraps.
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry, or rice wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound thin center-cut boneless pork chops, trimmed of fat and cut into thin julienne strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 8-ounce can sliced bamboo shoots, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, cut into julienne strips
- 4 scallions, greens only, sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
- To prepare sauce: Combine oyster sauce, water, hoisin sauce, vinegar, sherry (or rice wine), cornstarch, brown sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- To prepare stir-fry: Heat 2 teaspoons canola oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet or wok. Add pork; cook, stirring constantly, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms have softened, about 4 minutes. Return the pork to the pan and add the sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until a thick glossy sauce has formed, about 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with scallions and wrapped in lettuce leaves.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sauce will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 350 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 59 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 7 g fiber; 810 mg sodium; 675 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique