Lettuce Wraps with Spiced Pork
Serve this quick stir-fry family-style: set out a bowl of stir-fried pork and the lettuce leaves and let people make their own wraps.
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry, or rice wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound thin center-cut boneless pork chops, trimmed of fat and cut into thin julienne strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 8-ounce can sliced bamboo shoots, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, cut into julienne strips
- 4 scallions, greens only, sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
- To prepare sauce: Combine oyster sauce, water, hoisin sauce, vinegar, sherry (or rice wine), cornstarch, brown sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- To prepare stir-fry: Heat 2 teaspoons canola oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet or wok. Add pork; cook, stirring constantly, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms have softened, about 4 minutes. Return the pork to the pan and add the sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until a thick glossy sauce has formed, about 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with scallions and wrapped in lettuce leaves.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sauce will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 350 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 59 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 7 g fiber; 810 mg sodium; 675 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique