From EatingWell: November 1997
Try spreading this tangy tapende on crostini or pipe into cherry tomatoes (after slicing off the stem ends and seeding them). For a great sandwich, fill a lettuce-lined pita pocket with tapenade and sliced hard-cooked eggs.
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons black olive paste, or finely chopped oil-cured black olives
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and coarsely chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Combine lentils and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until very tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and garlic and transfer to a food processor. Add olive paste (or olives), capers, anchovies (or anchovy paste), lemon juice and oil; puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Scrape into a bowl and stir in rosemary.
Per tablespoon: 30 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 58 mg sodium; 67 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November 1997