From EatingWell: November 1997
Try spreading this tangy tapende on crostini or pipe into cherry tomatoes (after slicing off the stem ends and seeding them). For a great sandwich, fill a lettuce-lined pita pocket with tapenade and sliced hard-cooked eggs.
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons black olive paste, or finely chopped oil-cured black olives
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and coarsely chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Combine lentils and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until very tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and garlic and transfer to a food processor. Add olive paste (or olives), capers, anchovies (or anchovy paste), lemon juice and oil; puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Scrape into a bowl and stir in rosemary.
Per tablespoon: 30 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 58 mg sodium; 67 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November 1997