Lentil soup is the base for this sausage and spinach casserole. Make it a meal: Serve with a simple green salad tossed with red-wine vinaigrette.
- 2 links hot Italian-style turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 19-ounce can lentil soup
- 2 cups individually quick-frozen (IQF) spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup uncooked converted white rice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Remove casings from sausage and crumble with a fork.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, stirring, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add soup, spinach and oregano; heat through. Add rice and season with pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish; cover with foil. Bake until rice is tender, about 35 minutes. Top with Cheddar and bake uncovered until the cheese is melted, a few minutes longer.
Per serving: 330 calories; 12 g fat (5 g sat, 1 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 7 g fiber; 672 mg sodium; 545 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (198% daily value), Folate (41% dv), Vitamin C (38% dv), Iron (28% dv), Fiber (27% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less