Lentil soup is the base for this sausage and spinach casserole. Make it a meal: Serve with a simple green salad tossed with red-wine vinaigrette.
- 2 links hot Italian-style turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 19-ounce can lentil soup
- 2 cups individually quick-frozen (IQF) spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup uncooked converted white rice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Remove casings from sausage and crumble with a fork.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, stirring, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add soup, spinach and oregano; heat through. Add rice and season with pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish; cover with foil. Bake until rice is tender, about 35 minutes. Top with Cheddar and bake uncovered until the cheese is melted, a few minutes longer.
Per serving: 330 calories; 12 g fat (5 g sat, 1 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 7 g fiber; 672 mg sodium; 545 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (198% daily value), Folate (41% dv), Vitamin C (38% dv), Iron (28% dv), Fiber (27% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation