Lentil soup is the base for this sausage and spinach casserole. Make it a meal: Serve with a simple green salad tossed with red-wine vinaigrette.
- 2 links hot Italian-style turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 19-ounce can lentil soup
- 2 cups individually quick-frozen (IQF) spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup uncooked converted white rice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Remove casings from sausage and crumble with a fork.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, stirring, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add soup, spinach and oregano; heat through. Add rice and season with pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish; cover with foil. Bake until rice is tender, about 35 minutes. Top with Cheddar and bake uncovered until the cheese is melted, a few minutes longer.
Per serving: 330 calories; 12 g fat (5 g sat, 1 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 7 g fiber; 672 mg sodium; 545 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (198% daily value), Folate (41% dv), Vitamin C (38% dv), Iron (28% dv), Fiber (27% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less