Warm Lentil Salad with Sausage & Apple for Two
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
We like the firmer texture of French green lentils in this hearty dinner salad for two featuring sausage and tart apples. Serve with pickled beets and your favorite beer.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 links hot or sweet turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked or canned (rinsed) lentils (see Tip)
- 1/2 small bulb fennel, finely diced
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery with leaves, finely diced
- 3 cups arugula or mesclun greens
- Whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring often and breaking up into bite-size pieces, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Stir in lentils and heat through, about 2 minutes. Stir 2 tablespoons of the dressing into the lentil mixture and remove from the heat. Stir in fennel, apple and celery.
- Toss greens with the remaining dressing. Serve with the warm lentil mixture on top.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To cook lentils, place in a saucepan, cover with at least 1 inch of water, bring to a simmer and cook until just tender, 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the type of lentil. Drain and rinse with cold water. 1 cup dry lentils = about 2 1/2 cups cooked. Or use canned lentils: 15-ounce can = 1 1/2 cups. Rinse canned lentils before cooking with them to reduce the sodium by about 35%.
Per serving: 399 calories; 20 g fat (3 g sat, 13 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 11 g fiber; 817 mg sodium; 1008 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (59% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Iron & Potassium (29% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Vitamin A (19% dv)
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2011