Warm Lentil Salad with Sausage & Apple for Two
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
We like the firmer texture of French green lentils in this hearty dinner salad for two featuring sausage and tart apples. Serve with pickled beets and your favorite beer.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 links hot or sweet turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked or canned (rinsed) lentils (see Tip)
- 1/2 small bulb fennel, finely diced
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery with leaves, finely diced
- 3 cups arugula or mesclun greens
- Whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring often and breaking up into bite-size pieces, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Stir in lentils and heat through, about 2 minutes. Stir 2 tablespoons of the dressing into the lentil mixture and remove from the heat. Stir in fennel, apple and celery.
- Toss greens with the remaining dressing. Serve with the warm lentil mixture on top.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To cook lentils, place in a saucepan, cover with at least 1 inch of water, bring to a simmer and cook until just tender, 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the type of lentil. Drain and rinse with cold water. 1 cup dry lentils = about 2 1/2 cups cooked. Or use canned lentils: 15-ounce can = 1 1/2 cups. Rinse canned lentils before cooking with them to reduce the sodium by about 35%.
Per serving: 399 calories; 20 g fat (3 g sat, 13 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 11 g fiber; 817 mg sodium; 1008 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (59% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Iron & Potassium (29% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Vitamin A (19% dv)
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2011