I usually omit the fennel just because I don't have it on hand at the time and it still turns out delicious. If you are sensitive to the acid of vinegar, just don't use as much of the dressing, but I think it's perfect. I normally don't have Dijon so plain yellow mustard works perfectly fine as well. I like the spice so I always use some sort of hot sausage. Sometimes when I don't have any apples I also substitute dried cranberries instead.
Warm Lentil Salad with Sausage & Apple
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
We like the firmer texture of French green lentils in this hearty dinner salad featuring sausage and tart apples. Serve with pickled beets and your favorite beer.
5 Reviews for Warm Lentil Salad with Sausage & Apple
I made the dressing and tried it, and it was waaaaay to vinagery! So I added some sugar and also just a little bit of mayo to make a tiny bit creamy, and then all the flavors came together and it was delicious. But I don't know how others could have eaten it without the sugar, as the vinager was too overpowering.
This was super easy and fast, and yes it makes great leftovers. I used chorizo instead, and sliced it instead of crumbles.....SSOOOOOOOOOO good!
I make this all the time - it's super quick for dinner and makes a perfect leftover to take to work for lunch the next day!
I liked it without the fennel better, though, and made it with Trader Joe's chicken apple sausage instead (sliced, not crumbled).
Made as listed and it was filly and very tasty. I definitely recommend using spicy sausage
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)