Warm Lentil Salad with Sausage & Apple
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
We like the firmer texture of French green lentils in this hearty dinner salad featuring sausage and tart apples. Serve with pickled beets and your favorite beer.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 links hot or sweet turkey sausage, casings removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked or canned (rinsed) lentils (see Tip)
- 1 small bulb fennel, finely diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, finely diced
- 6 cups arugula or mesclun greens
- Whisk 3 tablespoons oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, stirring often and breaking up, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds more. Stir in lentils and heat through, about 2 minutes. Stir in 5 tablespoons of the dressing and remove from the heat. Stir in fennel, apple and celery.
- Toss greens with the remaining dressing. Serve with the warm lentil mixture on top.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To cook lentils, place in a saucepan, cover with at least 1 inch of water, bring to a simmer and cook until just tender, 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the type of lentil. Drain and rinse with cold water. 1 cup dry lentils = about 2 1/2 cups cooked. Or use canned lentils: 15-ounce can = 1 1/2 cups. Rinse canned lentils before cooking with them to reduce the sodium by about 35%.
Per serving: 401 calories; 20 g fat (3 g sat, 13 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 11 g fiber; 817 mg sodium; 1011 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (59% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Iron & Potassium (29% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Vitamin A (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2011