Red Lentil & Caramelized Onion Soup
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Fresh lime juice balances out the creamy, mellow sweetness of this pureed lentil and carrot soup. Caramelized onions, crisp snow peas, cilantro and sliced hard-boiled eggs are a flavorful and beautiful topping. Serve with warm whole-wheat naan or roti bread.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 onions (1 chopped and 1 thinly sliced)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots (about 4 carrots)
- 2 cups red lentils
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), sliced
- 10 snow peas, blanched and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and jalapeño; cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, lentils and water. Bring to a boil. Add turmeric, cover and simmer until the carrots and lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onion and cook, stirring often, until it turns medium brown, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a food processor or blender and puree, in batches if necessary, until smooth. Add a little water if necessary. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the puree to the pot. Stir in lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Top each serving with sautéed onions, egg slices and snow peas and sprinkle with cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 449 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 70 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 25 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 1395 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Folate (136% dv), Iron (57% dv), Potassium (40% dv), Vitamin C (38% dv), Magnesium (31% dv), Zinc (27% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less