Red Lentil & Caramelized Onion Soup
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Fresh lime juice balances out the creamy, mellow sweetness of this pureed lentil and carrot soup. Caramelized onions, crisp snow peas, cilantro and sliced hard-boiled eggs are a flavorful and beautiful topping. Serve with warm whole-wheat naan or roti bread.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 onions (1 chopped and 1 thinly sliced)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots (about 4 carrots)
- 2 cups red lentils
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), sliced
- 10 snow peas, blanched and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and jalapeño; cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, lentils and water. Bring to a boil. Add turmeric, cover and simmer until the carrots and lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onion and cook, stirring often, until it turns medium brown, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a food processor or blender and puree, in batches if necessary, until smooth. Add a little water if necessary. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the puree to the pot. Stir in lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Top each serving with sautéed onions, egg slices and snow peas and sprinkle with cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 449 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 93 mg cholesterol; 70 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 25 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 1395 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Folate (136% dv), Iron (57% dv), Potassium (40% dv), Vitamin C (38% dv), Magnesium (31% dv), Zinc (27% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less