Lentil & Bulgur Pilaf with Green & Yellow Squash
Based on a traditional Lebanese Lenten dish, this recipe makes a terrific meatless meal. Serve with warm whole-wheat flatbread or pita and a dollop of tangy plain yogurt.
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup coarse bulgur, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or dill
- Combine broth, lentils, onion, bay leaf, salt, allspice and pepper in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Add bulgur and cook until the lentils and bulgur are tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove the pilaf from the heat, discard the bay leaf and stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, squash, garlic and lemon zest; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and cilantro (or dill). Season with pepper. Stir into the pilaf. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fiber-rich bulgur is made from whole-wheat kernels that are precooked, dried and cracked. You can find it in natural-foods stores and many supermarkets.
Per serving: 259 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 13 g fiber; 213 mg sodium; 659 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 67% daily value fiber, 192 mcg folate (49% dv), 16 mg vitamin C (30% dv), 4 mg iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient