Lentil & Bulgur Pilaf with Green & Yellow Squash
Based on a traditional Lebanese Lenten dish, this recipe makes a terrific meatless meal. Serve with warm whole-wheat flatbread or pita and a dollop of tangy plain yogurt.
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup coarse bulgur, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or dill
- Combine broth, lentils, onion, bay leaf, salt, allspice and pepper in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Add bulgur and cook until the lentils and bulgur are tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove the pilaf from the heat, discard the bay leaf and stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, squash, garlic and lemon zest; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and cilantro (or dill). Season with pepper. Stir into the pilaf. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fiber-rich bulgur is made from whole-wheat kernels that are precooked, dried and cracked. You can find it in natural-foods stores and many supermarkets.
Per serving: 259 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 13 g fiber; 213 mg sodium; 659 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 67% daily value fiber, 192 mcg folate (49% dv), 16 mg vitamin C (30% dv), 4 mg iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient