Lentil & Bulgur Pilaf with Green & Yellow Squash
Based on a traditional Lebanese Lenten dish, this recipe makes a terrific meatless meal. Serve with warm whole-wheat flatbread or pita and a dollop of tangy plain yogurt.
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup coarse bulgur, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or dill
- Combine broth, lentils, onion, bay leaf, salt, allspice and pepper in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Add bulgur and cook until the lentils and bulgur are tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove the pilaf from the heat, discard the bay leaf and stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, squash, garlic and lemon zest; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and cilantro (or dill). Season with pepper. Stir into the pilaf. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fiber-rich bulgur is made from whole-wheat kernels that are precooked, dried and cracked. You can find it in natural-foods stores and many supermarkets.
Per serving: 259 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 13 g fiber; 213 mg sodium; 659 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 67% daily value fiber, 192 mcg folate (49% dv), 16 mg vitamin C (30% dv), 4 mg iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient