Lentil & Bulgur Pilaf with Green & Yellow Squash
Based on a traditional Lebanese Lenten dish, this recipe makes a terrific meatless meal. Serve with warm whole-wheat flatbread or pita and a dollop of tangy plain yogurt.
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup coarse bulgur, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or dill
- Combine broth, lentils, onion, bay leaf, salt, allspice and pepper in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Add bulgur and cook until the lentils and bulgur are tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove the pilaf from the heat, discard the bay leaf and stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, squash, garlic and lemon zest; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and cilantro (or dill). Season with pepper. Stir into the pilaf. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fiber-rich bulgur is made from whole-wheat kernels that are precooked, dried and cracked. You can find it in natural-foods stores and many supermarkets.
Per serving: 259 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 13 g fiber; 213 mg sodium; 659 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 67% daily value fiber, 192 mcg folate (49% dv), 16 mg vitamin C (30% dv), 4 mg iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient