Lentil & Bulgur Pilaf with Green & Yellow Squash
Based on a traditional Lebanese Lenten dish, this recipe makes a terrific meatless meal. Serve with warm whole-wheat flatbread or pita and a dollop of tangy plain yogurt.
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup coarse bulgur, (see Ingredient note)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or dill
- Combine broth, lentils, onion, bay leaf, salt, allspice and pepper in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Add bulgur and cook until the lentils and bulgur are tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove the pilaf from the heat, discard the bay leaf and stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, squash, garlic and lemon zest; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and cilantro (or dill). Season with pepper. Stir into the pilaf. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fiber-rich bulgur is made from whole-wheat kernels that are precooked, dried and cracked. You can find it in natural-foods stores and many supermarkets.
Per serving: 259 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 13 g fiber; 213 mg sodium; 659 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 67% daily value fiber, 192 mcg folate (49% dv), 16 mg vitamin C (30% dv), 4 mg iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient