Lemony Yellow Cake with Blackberry Sauce
This lemony cake is topped with Blackberry Sauce for a pretty presentation.
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups unsifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blackberry Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Add breadcrumbs, tilting the pan to evenly coat the inside. Tap out the excess.
- Combine milk and oil in a measuring cup. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl; set aside.
- Combine eggs, egg yolk, sugar and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture is thick and pale and falls in a ribbon when the beaters are lifted, about 5 minutes. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Sift half of the reserved dry ingredients over the beaten egg mixture and fold in with a rubber spatula until blended. Fold in half of the milk mixture. Repeat these steps with the remaining dry ingredients and milk mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then turn out of the pan and place right-side up on the rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make Blackberry Sauce.
- Dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar, slice and serve with the Blackberry Sauce alongside.
Per serving: 315 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 154 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrates, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique