Lemony Yellow Cake with Blackberry Sauce
This lemony cake is topped with Blackberry Sauce for a pretty presentation.
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups unsifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blackberry Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Add breadcrumbs, tilting the pan to evenly coat the inside. Tap out the excess.
- Combine milk and oil in a measuring cup. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl; set aside.
- Combine eggs, egg yolk, sugar and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture is thick and pale and falls in a ribbon when the beaters are lifted, about 5 minutes. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Sift half of the reserved dry ingredients over the beaten egg mixture and fold in with a rubber spatula until blended. Fold in half of the milk mixture. Repeat these steps with the remaining dry ingredients and milk mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then turn out of the pan and place right-side up on the rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make Blackberry Sauce.
- Dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar, slice and serve with the Blackberry Sauce alongside.
Per serving: 315 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 154 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrates, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour