Lemony Yellow Cake with Blackberry Sauce
This lemony cake is topped with Blackberry Sauce for a pretty presentation.
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups unsifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blackberry Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Add breadcrumbs, tilting the pan to evenly coat the inside. Tap out the excess.
- Combine milk and oil in a measuring cup. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl; set aside.
- Combine eggs, egg yolk, sugar and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture is thick and pale and falls in a ribbon when the beaters are lifted, about 5 minutes. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Sift half of the reserved dry ingredients over the beaten egg mixture and fold in with a rubber spatula until blended. Fold in half of the milk mixture. Repeat these steps with the remaining dry ingredients and milk mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then turn out of the pan and place right-side up on the rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make Blackberry Sauce.
- Dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar, slice and serve with the Blackberry Sauce alongside.
Per serving: 315 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 154 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrates, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique