Lemony Yellow Cake with Blackberry Sauce
This lemony cake is topped with Blackberry Sauce for a pretty presentation.
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups unsifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blackberry Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Add breadcrumbs, tilting the pan to evenly coat the inside. Tap out the excess.
- Combine milk and oil in a measuring cup. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl; set aside.
- Combine eggs, egg yolk, sugar and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture is thick and pale and falls in a ribbon when the beaters are lifted, about 5 minutes. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Sift half of the reserved dry ingredients over the beaten egg mixture and fold in with a rubber spatula until blended. Fold in half of the milk mixture. Repeat these steps with the remaining dry ingredients and milk mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then turn out of the pan and place right-side up on the rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make Blackberry Sauce.
- Dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar, slice and serve with the Blackberry Sauce alongside.
Per serving: 315 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 154 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrates, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)