Lemony Lentil Salad with Salmon
Salmon and lentils are a familiar combo in French bistro cooking; here they combine in a quick and easy salad. For the best presentation, flake the salmon with a fork, then stir gently into the salad to keep it in chunks, not tiny bits.
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup diced seedless cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 15-ounce cans lentils, rinsed, or 3 cups cooked brown or green lentils (see Tip)
- 2 7-ounce cans salmon , drained and flaked, or 1 1/2 cups flaked cooked salmon
- Whisk lemon juice, dill, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Add bell pepper, cucumber, onion, lentils and salmon; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: To cook lentils: Place in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until just tender, about 20 minutes for green lentils and 30 minutes for brown. Drain and rinse under cold water.
Per serving: 354 calories; 18 g fat (3 g sat, 12 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 9 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 743 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Folate (49% dv), Selenium (40% dv), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique