Irene’s Winter Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Steamed broccoli and cauliflower florets tossed with a tangy lemon dressing is a great alternative to a green salad or steamed vegetable side dish.
- 4 cups bite-size broccoli florets
- 4 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quartered pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes (see Tip)
- Place broccoli, cauliflower and water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and cook on High until just tender, about 4 minutes. (Alternatively, steam over 1 inch boiling water in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket until just tender, about 4 minutes.) Drain.
- Mix lemon juice, oil, garlic powder, oregano, sugar and salt in another large bowl. Add the vegetables and toss to combine. Let marinate in the refrigerator, stirring once or twice, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in olives and tomatoes. Serve, drizzling with any dressing left in the bowl.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for soft (not packed in oil) sun-dried tomatoes in the produce section of most supermarkets. If you can only find dry (and hard) sun-dried tomatoes, soak them in boiling water for about 20 minutes before using.
Per serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 461 mg sodium; 466 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (143% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2011