Irene’s Winter Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Steamed broccoli and cauliflower florets tossed with a tangy lemon dressing is a great alternative to a green salad or steamed vegetable side dish.
- 4 cups bite-size broccoli florets
- 4 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quartered pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes (see Tip)
- Place broccoli, cauliflower and water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and cook on High until just tender, about 4 minutes. (Alternatively, steam over 1 inch boiling water in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket until just tender, about 4 minutes.) Drain.
- Mix lemon juice, oil, garlic powder, oregano, sugar and salt in another large bowl. Add the vegetables and toss to combine. Let marinate in the refrigerator, stirring once or twice, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in olives and tomatoes. Serve, drizzling with any dressing left in the bowl.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for soft (not packed in oil) sun-dried tomatoes in the produce section of most supermarkets. If you can only find dry (and hard) sun-dried tomatoes, soak them in boiling water for about 20 minutes before using.
Per serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 461 mg sodium; 466 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (143% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2011