Irene’s Winter Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Steamed broccoli and cauliflower florets tossed with a tangy lemon dressing is a great alternative to a green salad or steamed vegetable side dish.
- 4 cups bite-size broccoli florets
- 4 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quartered pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes (see Tip)
- Place broccoli, cauliflower and water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and cook on High until just tender, about 4 minutes. (Alternatively, steam over 1 inch boiling water in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket until just tender, about 4 minutes.) Drain.
- Mix lemon juice, oil, garlic powder, oregano, sugar and salt in another large bowl. Add the vegetables and toss to combine. Let marinate in the refrigerator, stirring once or twice, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in olives and tomatoes. Serve, drizzling with any dressing left in the bowl.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for soft (not packed in oil) sun-dried tomatoes in the produce section of most supermarkets. If you can only find dry (and hard) sun-dried tomatoes, soak them in boiling water for about 20 minutes before using.
Per serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 461 mg sodium; 466 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (143% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2011