Irene’s Winter Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Steamed broccoli and cauliflower florets tossed with a tangy lemon dressing is a great alternative to a green salad or steamed vegetable side dish.
- 4 cups bite-size broccoli florets
- 4 cups bite-size cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quartered pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes (see Tip)
- Place broccoli, cauliflower and water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and cook on High until just tender, about 4 minutes. (Alternatively, steam over 1 inch boiling water in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket until just tender, about 4 minutes.) Drain.
- Mix lemon juice, oil, garlic powder, oregano, sugar and salt in another large bowl. Add the vegetables and toss to combine. Let marinate in the refrigerator, stirring once or twice, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in olives and tomatoes. Serve, drizzling with any dressing left in the bowl.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for soft (not packed in oil) sun-dried tomatoes in the produce section of most supermarkets. If you can only find dry (and hard) sun-dried tomatoes, soak them in boiling water for about 20 minutes before using.
Per serving: 117 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 461 mg sodium; 466 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (143% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2011