From EatingWell: May/June 1998
This tangy Vietnamese dressing would be a great dipping sauce for fresh spring rolls.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small stalks lemongrass, trimmed and chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped shallot, divided
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot chile oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- Combine broth, lemongrass and 2 tablespoons shallot in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain into a small bowl, discarding solids. Add remaining 2 tablespoons shallot, lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar and chile oil; whisk to combine. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Vietnamese fish sauce is available in the international-food section of most supermarkets.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 7 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 20 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Iron (16% dv).
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 1998