From EatingWell: May/June 1998
This tangy Vietnamese dressing would be a great dipping sauce for fresh spring rolls.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small stalks lemongrass, trimmed and chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped shallot, divided
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot chile oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- Combine broth, lemongrass and 2 tablespoons shallot in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain into a small bowl, discarding solids. Add remaining 2 tablespoons shallot, lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar and chile oil; whisk to combine. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Vietnamese fish sauce is available in the international-food section of most supermarkets.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 7 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 20 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Iron (16% dv).
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 1998