From EatingWell: May/June 1998
This tangy Vietnamese dressing would be a great dipping sauce for fresh spring rolls.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small stalks lemongrass, trimmed and chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped shallot, divided
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot chile oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- Combine broth, lemongrass and 2 tablespoons shallot in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain into a small bowl, discarding solids. Add remaining 2 tablespoons shallot, lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar and chile oil; whisk to combine. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and mint.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Vietnamese fish sauce is available in the international-food section of most supermarkets.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 7 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 20 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Iron (16% dv).
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- May/June 1998