Lemongrass-Thai Lime Leaf Marinade
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Fragrant lemongrass and Thai lime leaves infuse your favorite fish or seafood with flavor. Serve with Chile-Lime Dip.
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 stalk lemongrass, grated
- 1 ounce galangal, grated (see Note)
- 6 minced lime leaves, ribs removed (see Note)
- Whisk fish sauce and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in lemongrass, galangal and lime leaves. Marinate: 1/2 to 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Galangal is a fleshy root used as a seasoning in Southeast Asian cooking and is similar in appearance and flavor to ginger. Look for it fresh in specialty and Asian markets. Store unused portions in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Kaffir lime leaves (or makrut or Thai lime leaves) lend one of the signature flavors to Thai cooking—lemony and floral. Like other Asian ingredients, there is no real substitute, but lime zest will work in a pinch. Find the leaves fresh or frozen in Asian markets and online stores. Fresh leaves may be frozen, airtight, for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 21 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- August/September 2006