Lemongrass-Thai Lime Leaf Marinade
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Fragrant lemongrass and Thai lime leaves infuse your favorite fish or seafood with flavor. Serve with Chile-Lime Dip.
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 stalk lemongrass, grated
- 1 ounce galangal, grated (see Note)
- 6 minced lime leaves, ribs removed (see Note)
- Whisk fish sauce and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in lemongrass, galangal and lime leaves. Marinate: 1/2 to 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Galangal is a fleshy root used as a seasoning in Southeast Asian cooking and is similar in appearance and flavor to ginger. Look for it fresh in specialty and Asian markets. Store unused portions in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Kaffir lime leaves (or makrut or Thai lime leaves) lend one of the signature flavors to Thai cooking—lemony and floral. Like other Asian ingredients, there is no real substitute, but lime zest will work in a pinch. Find the leaves fresh or frozen in Asian markets and online stores. Fresh leaves may be frozen, airtight, for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 21 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, marinade/rub
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- August/September 2006
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)