From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
This cheesecake invites guiltless indulgence. It is best chilled and served the same day. If you don't have cherries, substitute an additional 1 cup blueberries.
- 1 cup graham-cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup gingersnap crumbs
- 1/3 cup crushed walnuts
- 1/3 cup canola oil, or corn oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups yogurt cheese, made from 48 ounces low-fat yogurt
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 eggs, at room temperature, well beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt, (8 ounces)
Mixed Fruit Topping
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted
- 12 strawberries, quartered lengthwise
- To make crust: Butter and chill a 9-inch spring-form pan. Mix all ingredients together. Press into the bottom and 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the pan. Chill at least 15 minutes.
- To make cheesecake: Preheat oven to 300°F. Beat together yogurt cheese, cream cheese, eggs, sugar, lemon juice and peel with an electric mixer. Stir in yogurt. Spoon mixture carefully into the crust-lined pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the center sets. Cool in the over with the door ajar for 1 hour. Refrigerate 3 hours or more and unmold.
- To make topping: Combine 2 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in small saucepan. Blend well, add blueberries and boil gently 2 to 3 minutes until mixture clears. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a separate saucepan, prepare cherries in the same manner, with the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons honey. Spread a layer of cherries around the outside edge of cheesecake. Spread blueberries over the rest of the cheesecake, leaving a circle in the center of cake bare. Arrange strawberries in a flower pattern in the center and brush lightly with 1 teaspoon honey.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make 2 cups of yogurt cheese, line a colander with a large cotton towel or double thickness of cheesecloth, and place the colander in the sink. Pour in 6 cups low-fat yogurt. After 15 minutes, transfer the colander to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours or overnight. Gathering the edges of the towel together, gently squeeze out any remaining liquid. Transfer cheese to a separate container. Refrigerate until ready to use. Keeps 1 week.
Per serving: 263 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low sodium
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Charter Issue, 1990
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)