Lemon Verbena Cheesecake
From EatingWell: Summer 2003
With its exquisite lemon-oil fragrance, lemon verbena adds a sophisticated accent to a creamy vanilla cheesecake. Lemon verbena is also a perfect complement to strawberries. A generous quantity of fruit and a slender slice of cheesecake make a balanced finish to a fine meal.
- 20 vanilla wafers, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 16 ounces 1% cottage cheese, (2 cups)
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchatel), cut into pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh lemon verbena, or lemon balm (see Tip)
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Lemon verbena or lemon balm sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Wrap the outside of the pan with a double thickness of foil. Put a kettle of water on to boil for the water bath.
- To prepare crust: Pulse vanilla wafers in a food processor into fine crumbs. Add oil and pulse to blend. Press the crumb mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. (Rinse and dry the workbowl.)
- To prepare filling: Process cottage cheese in the food processor until very smooth and silky, stopping to scrape down the sides once or twice. Add cream cheese and process until smooth. Add sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla and salt; process until well blended. Add eggs and pulse several times just until mixed in. Sprinkle in lemon verbena (or lemon balm); mix with a rubber spatula. (Do not process.) Scrape the filling into the crust.
- Place the cheesecake in a shallow roasting pan and pour in enough boiling water to come 1 inch up the outside of the springform pan. Bake until the edges are set but the center quivers slightly, 50 to 55 minutes. Turn off the oven. Let the cheesecake cool in the oven, with the door ajar, for 1 hour.
- Remove foil from pan. Cover cheesecake with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- To prepare topping: About 1/2 hour before serving, rinse strawberries. Set aside 3 whole berries for garnish; hull remaining berries and slice into a bowl. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar and toss to coat. Let stand until strawberries are juicy, 20 to 30 minutes.
- To serve, place cheesecake on a platter and run a knife around the inside of the pan; remove pan sides. Make 3 lengthwise cuts in each whole berry; press lightly and arrange fanned berries in the center of the cheesecake. Garnish with a sprig of lemon verbena (or lemon balm). Top each serving with strawberries and juice and garnish with another sprig of verbena (or lemon balm).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Ingredient note: To avoid trans-fatty acids, look for brands that do not contain partially hydrogenated canola oil, such as Mi-Del Vanilla Snaps (found in natural-foods stores and large supermarkets).
- Tip: If you cannot find lemon verbena or lemon balm, use 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest instead.
Per serving: 188 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 226 mg sodium; 149 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, cakes
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Summer 2003