Lemon Thyme-Tinged Corn Sauté
From EatingWell: Summer 2003
Fresh corn on the cob is wonderful, but fresh corn off the cob is a real treat too. Your reward for spending a few pleasant minutes cutting kernels off the cob is a sweet and flavorful corn sauté brightened with diced red peppers, thyme and a lift of lemon—a subtle, delicious vegetable side dish that goes splendidly with crab cakes.
- 5-7 ears fresh corn, husked
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme, or thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Remove as much silk as possible from the corn and then, using a sharp chef's knife, cut the kernels off the cob. You want to end up with 3 to 3 1/2 cups corn. You may not need all the corn if the ears are large. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or sauté pan over medium-low heat. Stir in scallions, bell pepper and celery. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved corn and water to the pan. Cover and cook, stirring often, until the corn is tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add butter and stir until it has melted. Stir in the thyme, lemon zest and salt. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let sit for several minutes before serving.
Per serving: 122 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 101 mg sodium; 299 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Summer 2003