Lemon Thyme-Tinged Corn Sauté
From EatingWell: Summer 2003
Fresh corn on the cob is wonderful, but fresh corn off the cob is a real treat too. Your reward for spending a few pleasant minutes cutting kernels off the cob is a sweet and flavorful corn sauté brightened with diced red peppers, thyme and a lift of lemon—a subtle, delicious vegetable side dish that goes splendidly with crab cakes.
- 5-7 ears fresh corn, husked
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme, or thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Remove as much silk as possible from the corn and then, using a sharp chef's knife, cut the kernels off the cob. You want to end up with 3 to 3 1/2 cups corn. You may not need all the corn if the ears are large. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or sauté pan over medium-low heat. Stir in scallions, bell pepper and celery. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved corn and water to the pan. Cover and cook, stirring often, until the corn is tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add butter and stir until it has melted. Stir in the thyme, lemon zest and salt. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let sit for several minutes before serving.
Per serving: 122 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 101 mg sodium; 299 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Summer 2003