Lemon Thyme-Tinged Corn Sauté
From EatingWell: Summer 2003
Fresh corn on the cob is wonderful, but fresh corn off the cob is a real treat too. Your reward for spending a few pleasant minutes cutting kernels off the cob is a sweet and flavorful corn sauté brightened with diced red peppers, thyme and a lift of lemon—a subtle, delicious vegetable side dish that goes splendidly with crab cakes.
- 5-7 ears fresh corn, husked
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme, or thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Remove as much silk as possible from the corn and then, using a sharp chef's knife, cut the kernels off the cob. You want to end up with 3 to 3 1/2 cups corn. You may not need all the corn if the ears are large. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or sauté pan over medium-low heat. Stir in scallions, bell pepper and celery. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved corn and water to the pan. Cover and cook, stirring often, until the corn is tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add butter and stir until it has melted. Stir in the thyme, lemon zest and salt. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let sit for several minutes before serving.
Per serving: 122 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 101 mg sodium; 299 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Summer 2003