Lemon Thyme-Tinged Corn Sauté
From EatingWell: Summer 2003
Fresh corn on the cob is wonderful, but fresh corn off the cob is a real treat too. Your reward for spending a few pleasant minutes cutting kernels off the cob is a sweet and flavorful corn sauté brightened with diced red peppers, thyme and a lift of lemon—a subtle, delicious vegetable side dish that goes splendidly with crab cakes.
- 5-7 ears fresh corn, husked
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme, or thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Remove as much silk as possible from the corn and then, using a sharp chef's knife, cut the kernels off the cob. You want to end up with 3 to 3 1/2 cups corn. You may not need all the corn if the ears are large. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or sauté pan over medium-low heat. Stir in scallions, bell pepper and celery. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved corn and water to the pan. Cover and cook, stirring often, until the corn is tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add butter and stir until it has melted. Stir in the thyme, lemon zest and salt. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let sit for several minutes before serving.
Per serving: 122 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 101 mg sodium; 299 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Summer 2003