These lemon cookies are made healthier with whole-wheat pastry flour and they get their zippy flavor from fresh lemon zest and juice rather than lemon extract. This lemon cookie recipe would be the perfect accompaniment to afternoon tea.
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Beat 1/2 cup sugar, butter and oil in another mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add egg white, lemon zest and vanilla; beat until smooth. Beat in lemon juice. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold in with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Place the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a saucer. Coat the bottom of a wide-bottomed glass with cooking spray and dip it in the sugar. Flatten the dough with the glass into 2 1/2-inch circles, dipping the glass in the sugar each time.
- Bake the cookies until they are just starting to brown around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a flat surface (not a rack) to crisp.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Per cookie: 60 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 46 mg sodium; 10 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique