These lemon cookies are made healthier with whole-wheat pastry flour and they get their zippy flavor from fresh lemon zest and juice rather than lemon extract. This lemon cookie recipe would be the perfect accompaniment to afternoon tea.
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Beat 1/2 cup sugar, butter and oil in another mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add egg white, lemon zest and vanilla; beat until smooth. Beat in lemon juice. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold in with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Place the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a saucer. Coat the bottom of a wide-bottomed glass with cooking spray and dip it in the sugar. Flatten the dough with the glass into 2 1/2-inch circles, dipping the glass in the sugar each time.
- Bake the cookies until they are just starting to brown around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a flat surface (not a rack) to crisp.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Per cookie: 60 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 46 mg sodium; 10 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique