Lemon Sponge Pudding
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
A perennial favorite, this lemony sponge pudding has been lightened by using low-fat milk and fewer egg yolks.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 large egg whites
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil four 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins or coat them with cooking spray.
- Beat sugar, whole egg, butter and lemon zest in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until the mixture is thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Add flour and beat until smooth. Add milk and lemon juice and beat until well blended.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl using clean beaters until stiff but not dry. Gently fold the whites into the egg-sugar mixture until completely incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cups. Set in a shallow baking dish and add enough hot water to come two-thirds of the way up the sides. Bake until browned and set, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 218 calories; 6 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 0 g fiber; 92 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- January/February 1995