Lemon Sponge Pudding
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
A perennial favorite, this lemony sponge pudding has been lightened by using low-fat milk and fewer egg yolks.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 large egg whites
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil four 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins or coat them with cooking spray.
- Beat sugar, whole egg, butter and lemon zest in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until the mixture is thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Add flour and beat until smooth. Add milk and lemon juice and beat until well blended.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl using clean beaters until stiff but not dry. Gently fold the whites into the egg-sugar mixture until completely incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cups. Set in a shallow baking dish and add enough hot water to come two-thirds of the way up the sides. Bake until browned and set, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 218 calories; 6 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 0 g fiber; 92 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- January/February 1995