Lemon Sponge Pudding
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
A perennial favorite, this lemony sponge pudding has been lightened by using low-fat milk and fewer egg yolks.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 large egg whites
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil four 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins or coat them with cooking spray.
- Beat sugar, whole egg, butter and lemon zest in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until the mixture is thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Add flour and beat until smooth. Add milk and lemon juice and beat until well blended.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl using clean beaters until stiff but not dry. Gently fold the whites into the egg-sugar mixture until completely incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cups. Set in a shallow baking dish and add enough hot water to come two-thirds of the way up the sides. Bake until browned and set, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 218 calories; 6 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 0 g fiber; 92 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1995