Lemon Sponge Pudding
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
A perennial favorite, this lemony sponge pudding has been lightened by using low-fat milk and fewer egg yolks.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 large egg whites
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil four 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins or coat them with cooking spray.
- Beat sugar, whole egg, butter and lemon zest in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until the mixture is thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Add flour and beat until smooth. Add milk and lemon juice and beat until well blended.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl using clean beaters until stiff but not dry. Gently fold the whites into the egg-sugar mixture until completely incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cups. Set in a shallow baking dish and add enough hot water to come two-thirds of the way up the sides. Bake until browned and set, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 218 calories; 6 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 0 g fiber; 92 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- January/February 1995