Lemon Sponge Pudding
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
A perennial favorite, this lemony sponge pudding has been lightened by using low-fat milk and fewer egg yolks.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 large egg whites
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil four 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins or coat them with cooking spray.
- Beat sugar, whole egg, butter and lemon zest in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until the mixture is thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Add flour and beat until smooth. Add milk and lemon juice and beat until well blended.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl using clean beaters until stiff but not dry. Gently fold the whites into the egg-sugar mixture until completely incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cups. Set in a shallow baking dish and add enough hot water to come two-thirds of the way up the sides. Bake until browned and set, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 218 calories; 6 g fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 0 g fiber; 92 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- January/February 1995