Toasted sesame seeds and lemon zest add fresh flavor to these breaded scallops.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound dry sea scallops, or large bay scallops (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spread sesame seeds in a baking pan and toast in the oven as it warms up, stirring often, until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Coat a wire rack that is large enough to hold scallops in a single layer with cooking spray. Place the rack on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Combine the toasted sesame seeds, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper and cayenne in a bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, buttermilk, egg white and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in another bowl until creamy and smooth.
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels. Place cornstarch in a shallow bowl, dredge a scallop and shake to remove excess. Using tongs or 2 forks, dip scallop in the buttermilk mixture, and then in the breadcrumb mixture, shaking to remove excess breading. Place on the prepared rack, and repeat with remaining scallops. Scallops should not touch.
- Bake the scallops until the coating is golden brown and the scallops are firm and opaque in the center, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Be sure to buy “dry” sea scallops (scallops that have not been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate, or STP). Scallops that have been treated with STP (“wet” scallops) have been subjected to a chemical bath and are not only mushy and less flavorful, but will not brown properly.
Per serving: 247 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 39 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 619 mg sodium; 486 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (49% daily value), Magnesium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique