Ginger and lemon add bright flavor to plain rice.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/3 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 3-inch strips lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Stir together onion and oil in a medium saucepan. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add rice and ginger, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and cook, covered, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, 15 to 17 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Microwave Variation:
- Stir together onions and oil in a microwave-safe 2 1/2-quart casserole. Microwave on High, uncovered, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice, ginger, broth, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, until rice is tender, 17 to 20 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Per serving: 262 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (60% daily value), Vitamin C (17% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less