Ginger and lemon add bright flavor to plain rice.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/3 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 3-inch strips lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Stir together onion and oil in a medium saucepan. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add rice and ginger, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and cook, covered, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, 15 to 17 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Microwave Variation:
- Stir together onions and oil in a microwave-safe 2 1/2-quart casserole. Microwave on High, uncovered, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice, ginger, broth, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, until rice is tender, 17 to 20 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Per serving: 262 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (60% daily value), Vitamin C (17% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less