Ginger and lemon add bright flavor to plain rice.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/3 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 3-inch strips lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Stir together onion and oil in a medium saucepan. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add rice and ginger, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and cook, covered, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, 15 to 17 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Microwave Variation:
- Stir together onions and oil in a microwave-safe 2 1/2-quart casserole. Microwave on High, uncovered, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice, ginger, broth, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, until rice is tender, 17 to 20 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Per serving: 262 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (60% daily value), Vitamin C (17% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less