Ginger and lemon add bright flavor to plain rice.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/3 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 3-inch strips lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Stir together onion and oil in a medium saucepan. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add rice and ginger, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and cook, covered, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, 15 to 17 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Microwave Variation:
- Stir together onions and oil in a microwave-safe 2 1/2-quart casserole. Microwave on High, uncovered, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice, ginger, broth, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, until rice is tender, 17 to 20 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Per serving: 262 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (60% daily value), Vitamin C (17% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less