Ginger and lemon add bright flavor to plain rice.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/3 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 3-inch strips lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Stir together onion and oil in a medium saucepan. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add rice and ginger, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and cook, covered, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, 15 to 17 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Microwave Variation:
- Stir together onions and oil in a microwave-safe 2 1/2-quart casserole. Microwave on High, uncovered, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice, ginger, broth, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Cover casserole with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir once, cover and microwave on Medium, without stirring, until rice is tender, 17 to 20 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Per serving: 262 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 143 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (60% daily value), Vitamin C (17% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less