I just conquered this recipe in a big way - almost changing it completely but I'm sure retaining the original intent:
1. I used used a shy 1/3 cup sugar, two chunks of pulverized palm sugar instead of 1/2 cup sugar.
2. I used half extra light olive oil and half butter. (I didn't have enough oil).
3. I didn't have buttermilk, so I put approximately 1/4tsp vinegar into milk to give it the buttermilk taste.
4. I went shy on the baking powder, probably closer to 1.5-1.75 tsp.
5. I used 1 cup white unbleached flour and 1 cup oats pureed into an oat flour in the food processor, because I don't have whole wheat flour.
Finally, I put almond slivers on top of these muffins. They are very light, very fluffy but with a crunch on the edges of the crust - magnificent!